Discussions
Are our medical students failing “Wisdom 101”?
By Jean Decety A longitudinal study of over 450 medical students at Jefferson Medical College revealed a significant decline in empathy at the end of the third year, which persisted until graduation. The researchers found it “ironic that the erosion of

• COMMENTS
  • Mon, Dec 10 2012 3:07 PM

Brenda Huskey

By Jean Decety A longitudinal study of over 450 medical students at Jefferson Medical College revealed a significant decline in empathy at the end of the third year, which persisted until graduation. The researchers found it “ironic that the erosion of
  • Thu, Dec 13 2012 9:04 AM

Jonathan Oppenheimer

Empathy, like religion, makes people feels good, but may have no effect on underlying pathophysiology. No reason not to minister (or more likely, give lip service) to both pysche and body if one has the skill set. Doc needs to have good bedside manner
  • Thu, Dec 13 2012 9:17 AM

Peter Jones

Its not ironic, its reflective of medical school itself. I'm surprised the researchers aren't taking into consideration the purposes of the different phases of medical education. Third year is the first full clinical clerkship year. This is the
  • Sun, Dec 16 2012 9:08 AM

Jonathan Oppenheimer

I agree with Peter, Empathy is but one component necessary for the provision of healthcare. It is certainly a desired trait for those entering a demanding and strenuous profession. But one can't fault a decrease in empathy when that's what may
  • Thu, Dec 27 2012 2:33 PM

peter simons

In my view many people have a lack of empathy. Having an engineering background myself, I can safely say that people that study engineering are known for having low empathy levels. Doing business studies, the same happens. Empathy is regarded as unsafe