Discussions
What is the role of reflection in practical wisdom?
For ancient philosophers, wisdom required knowing the good and a wise person could live a flourishing life, in part, because he or she possessed this knowledge. These days, we are less certain that there is a good to be known that will help us live flourishing

• COMMENTS
  • Fri, Jan 30 2009 10:27 AM

Joy Wattawa

For ancient philosophers, wisdom required knowing the good and a wise person could live a flourishing life, in part, because he or she possessed this knowledge. These days, we are less certain that there is a good to be known that will help us live flourishing
  • Thu, Feb 5 2009 10:51 PM

Eugene Taylor

This statement raises a number of questions in a genuinely inquisitive manner and comes to the right conclusion, in my opinion, that some form of self reflection might reveal the true roots of wisdom. But the author is constrained time and again by the
  • Fri, Feb 6 2009 9:06 AM

Joy Wattawa

I would like to emphasize that I (the webmaster) chose the statue of the Buddha picture to go with this blog entry without Dr. Tiberius's knowledge. Thank you for your interesting comments! -Joy
  • Sun, Aug 16 2009 2:11 AM

John Uebersax

Your idea to move from metaphysics to epistemology, and specifically to distinguish between THE GOOD and REFLECTION ON THE GOOD seems like a promising innovation. It also seems true that what you call universal values and relative values have different
  • Thu, Jul 29 2010 2:41 AM

Ravi Arapurakal

The role of reflection in the development of wisdom is paramount. Prospects are not exactly rosy for the human species. In recent times, our extinction has become a realistic possibility, occuring either through cataclysmic climate change or through a